Most people think that Alcohol is legal and no big deal. Did you know that alcohol is one of the worse drugs to detox from? Did you know that you can die from too much alcohol? How about the fact that according to the Pennsylvania Drunk Driving Statistics in 2011, there were 11,805 crashes that were alcohol related? Did you know that most teens begin drinking at twelve years old!
In Washington County the 2011 Pennsylvania Youth Survey was conducted with 1,084 students in 6,8,10 & 12 grades at several Washington County schools. Here are some of the results:
- 46% of all students have tried alcohol .
- 22% using alcohol on a regular basis.
- 43% of high school seniors use alcohol on a regular basis.
- 9% of students admit to being high or drunk at school.
- 22% of seniors admit to operating an automobile after alcohol use.
Some adults feel that it’s a right of passage for youth. Others feel that if it’s their child or in their home that it’s o.k. to give alcohol to minors under the age of 21. Did you know that if you serve even your own child alcohol that you can be arrested, fined a manatory fine of $1,000 and the police can seize any alcohol, money or property used in committing the offense.
Be responsible, both with your own drinking and the message that we send to our youth!